Friday, October 15, 2010

Are you happy?

Yesterday, I told my wild horse that our cow is having lunch alone at the fast food restaurant, so lonely and no one like him. But as usual, my wild horse said “So what, he earns more than you.”

So, the definition of happy from my wild horse point of view is that, as long as the company paid high salary to us, we shall be happy no matter what environment we are working. My personal opinion is that, happiness for him is too surface. Money is important, but it doesn’t cover everything.

Some people miss understand the definition of working/job and career.

If you look at Oxford dictionary for the meaning of career, you will get this

an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life, usually with opportunities for progress. ▶[as modifier] working with commitment in a particular profession.

And definition for work is
such activity as a means of earning income.

And definition for job is
a paid position of regular employment.

So, can you see the different?

When you work or you take a job, it mean your final target or objective of your action is to earn money and nothing more than that. You will get paid for what you have done, or the payer, in his/her opinion that you valued.

On the other hand, career has more in it. Apart from getting paid, it also includes commitments and self growing.

If you asking me if I had found my career? I can just said, I’m glad that I’m an engineer. I knew what I want to be, but I don’t have the right medium.

If you follow my blog since I started, you will remember I said that love your job, but don’t fall in love with the company. Am I happy? Well, the answer is I feel tired. I wish to see a healthy growing environment, but I can’t see the future since few years ago.

Luckily, I still have a group of colleagues that work with me. We tend to laugh at our own stupidity and giving all the hard work to solve every obstacle that we faced. I believe everyone is tired but we still give a warming smile to each other. We know nothing much we can do for the current situation, but at least we don’t make it worst.

When the boat is sinking, instead of digging another hole on it, help to pour water out of the boat.

4 comments:

  1. We should love what we do first. It is the most important. If we do what we love then everything else should be secondary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bro, please help our wild horse. he don't understand the basic of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some just get employed to get salary only... not care about contribution to company. we have seen people just come to office, sit there, walk around, do nothing then get salary at the end of the month... this is the most happy people!! haha. Those who work like shit is.... sohai! no doubt.

    ReplyDelete