Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thought of the day

Last few weeks, just manage to get some time to have dinner with my friend, which is previously my control subcontractor’s, or a better name SI (system integrator), staff. Now he is a manager of a control company, and I’m still an engineer T_T.

Ok, back to today topic.

When we talk about the young engineers, we got same point of view, what are these engineers thinking? Why they are so like tat? If you don’t understand what I’m tried to say, maybe the following example can make it clear.

When I was an young engineer (getting old already T_T), when I see a cable in the panel, I will go to check the drawing, read manual, buy a cutter and screwdriver and connect the cable.

So what young engineer will do it they see the same cable?

They will say “I don’t know. When can you finish the installation?”

So do you know what I’m tried to explain?

First of all, I’m not promoting and hard sell myself through this blog, cause I don’t need to do that. Secondly, don’t read me wrong, I’m not cocky. And if you thinking I’m cocky, then I would like to apology to you for doing that on you, cause I’m pissed sometime.

I would like to emphasize here that I’m graduate from local university not Oxford, I eat mix rice like you all do, I watch pirated movies also, and I also have 24 hours. Then what make us different?

In Taiwan, there is new term used to describe young generation, especially 80’s, which have good external look, but unable to withstand in working environment. They called it 草莓族 (strawberry group). My sister told me that some of her primary school student does not know how to open a door, cause their “kakak” or maid do it for them. I think that the main reason why this group exists.

My SI told me that I must teach my junior in order for them to catch up my job. But I want to tell everyone that, I don’t keep my knowledge to myself and I willing to teach. However, please don’t come and ask me how to count 1+1 or what is a relay. I’m an engineer not a school teacher; I do not know how to continue if your foundation is still at primary school level.

There is a very famous quote from Internet,

If I cook for you, then you only got 1 meal; but if you learn how to cook, you will not be hunger anymore.
But now these youngsters will ask you to feed them to eat after you have cooked the meal. What the fuck! God please help me.

Footnote: to all young engineers, there is no shortcut to make you a genius. Read, think and apply is the only correct way to lead you to the engineering path.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:38 PM

    there is an english idiom for it..."Fish for a man, he'll eat for a day, Teach a man how to fish, he'll fish for his life!"

    The 80's generation is of coz not as good as the previous batch ... I can see this by the passing standards in STPM exam (the 70's maths question are meant for Einsteins). But trust me, the 90s and the millennium kids are even worse.

    But maybe we should start questioning why is this happening? And the reason behind them havin this kinda thinking? Is it becoz they see no worth in investing their time in today's engineering field, or there are better choices to be made. But anyway, I still do believe there is no shortcut of being successful, you have to be working damn hardworking towards your dream. Where the hardwork is put into is another question. But just to take a screwdriver to fix a simple cable shouldn't be much of a problem i think. It's a bit "over the fire" liao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aiyah, Ding, why cha me until like that ? if i see a wire hanging loose inside a panel, i will run run run as fast as i can while shouting, "HEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP MMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE MYYYYYYY SUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR SSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBB COOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, new member of KJ? Never meet before. You are the juniour of Ding??

    Terence, betul ke? I never see this happen at MBSA la? a silent and little talk nia hehehe

    Ding, i also dont know why? But, what i know is we are stupid and work hard and to get it solve!. Nowaday, people getting clever la.. not need they to solve it and just ask people... this is call "Genius"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ding, some people don't even know how to hold a screwdriver, some people don't have the hands on skill, we must respect that, maybe their non technical skill is better than yours ? At least they ask someone to fix the problem. The worse is that when they see the loose cable, they do nothing, not even asking the sub-con to fix it. End of the matter is that the problem is solved. We should not take too much credit for our own work. We cannot take our own achievements to the grave. Nobody cares. We should not take credit for other people's work also. Then they will silently fuck us. Why the stock market go down so much this past week ? Want to cry liao....go go MU VIVA ITALIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sam, i fully agreed with you that the new generation is getting worse. the main reason behind this is most education (formal or informal) to the youngster. as you can see, now most of the children do not need to take care themselves cos some one will take care everything for them, that why the word strawberry group appear. now some even call those youngster taofu group. what the fuck.

    toh, so far i respect you as a engineer cos you have shown yourself as a engineer.

    i dont complain the company director dont know how to do the site work, cos he is born to manage people, what i want to emphasis is that if you are employed as a engineer, then you need to work as a engineer. the next question is that, does engineer need to make thier hand dirty? i know you read lot of books, and i think you will agree with me that all your reading or knowledge will become yours once you apply it.

    i'm working in a contractor line not consultant line. so final result is always important than shouting around.

    titan, anyway, these genius will know how to survive, none of my business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe thats why I am a lorry driver....hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:06 PM

    that is why the seniors always rag the juniors. to make them awake and come out of the nut shell. some juniors are just so taken care of and the impression of the world is things will be fixed even if he dont move an inch of his finger.
    so... please spare me :p i'm a junior too XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:53 PM

    titan,

    yeah, been a member of sohai group for almost 2 years. I am not ding's junior in control & instrumentation, but somewhere in the organisation chart, he's my MANAGER.

    ReplyDelete